Paul Svilans, Principal
Areas of law
Media Law, Dispute Resolution and litigation
Bachelor of Laws, University of New South Wales
Bachelor of Commerce, University of New South Wales
T (02) 9216 9830
M 0410 687 900
Contact me via email
Paul is one of Australia’s leading media lawyers with significant experience in all aspects of media law.
Paul represents and advises participants in all sectors of the media on both contentious and non-contentious matters involving defamation, copyright, statutory restrictions and defamation insurance related matters.
He regularly represents media publisher defendants (print, online, television) in defamation, contempt and other related matters in the Supreme, Federal and District Courts.
Paul also provides pre-publication advice to broadcasters on a regular basis, has co-authored pre-publication guides for Nine Network Australia, Daily Mail and Sky News and presents media training sessions to journalists at Sky News.
Notable projects include defending Nine Network Australia and other publishers in defamation proceedings brought in the NSW Supreme Court and District Courts and the ACT Supreme Court, including:
- successfully acting in defending claims in defamation brought by an Albury builder against the 60 Minutes program. Proceedings involved numerous unsuccessful appellate hearings by the Plaintiff as well as two jury hearings;
- successfully acting in defending claims by an investment advisor with proceedings discontinued after trial in the Supreme Court;
- successfully acting in defending a claim in defamation brought by a sitting member of Federal Parliament; and
- successfully defending an application for a permanent injunction against a publisher brought by the provider of medical related services;
- resisting injunctive proceedings brought in the NSW Supreme Court against Nine Network Australia and other publishers seeking to restrain broadcast and/or publication of alleged actionable material; and
- acting for Dow Jones & Co in defence of landmark defamation proceedings brought by Joseph Gutnick in the Supreme Court of Victoria and High Court.