Areas of law
Media Law, Dispute Resolution and litigation
Master of Laws, University of Sydney
T (02) 9216 9815
M 0432 977 939
Contact me via email:
Monica is a commercial litigation lawyer with extensive experience managing complex multi-party litigation in the Supreme Court of New South Wales and the Federal Court of Australia including defamation and media law, regulatory matters, class actions, financial services litigation, cross-border issues, insolvency and contractual and general commercial disputes.
Monica represents media organisations in defamation and other related matters and provides pre-publication advice to the Daily Mail Australia.
Her previous clients include international institutions, locally based and off-shore entities, not-for-profit organisations, and high net worth individuals.
She is a co-author of the first Australian textbook on Social Media and the Law and she is a member of the Communications and Media Law Association.
Notable matters include:
Monica has assisted either Mark O'Brien and/or Paul Svilans in:
- Successfully defending claims in defamation brought in the Supreme Court by a sports scientist against Nine Network Australia;
- Successfully defending claims in defamation brought in the Supreme Court by a central coast builder against A Current Affair;
Other notable experience includes;
- Successfully acting on behalf of shareholders in a multi-million dollar representative action against a publically listed company in the Federal Court, Melbourne. The proceedings involved 14 respondents;
- Successfully defending a Federal Court representative action brought by land owners seeking to invalidate a decision made by the Minister under the Environmental Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (Cth) pursuant to the Constitution and the Judiciary Act 1903 (Cth).
- Acting for a food and beverage distributor in respect of ACCC investigations relating to the current Federal Court claims brought against Coles Supermarkets.